ShareThis

Wednesday 19 June 2019

Riscos Altos


Walk Summary
Struggling to remember a tougher P600 in Spain. Cerro del Cabezo comes to mind, notwithstanding recollections being more recent, today's bushwhack felt far tougher over a much greater distance.
Not life threatening in the way Mickle Fell turned out back in February 2010, after all I did not have hypothermia to deal with here.

Am sure remember sign said "Prohibido el Paso".
Not sure "Private Hunting" sign means the same,
but hey - the gate is locked anyway.
The day did not start well when all three possible start points selected from the map along the CM-4100 as part of route planning turned out to be unsuitable.
Two of them at 39.54073°N, 5.12098°W and 39.54585°N, 5.12077°W rekindled memories of Carascoy with locked gates across the tracks and the ubiquitous "Prohibido el paso" signs discouraging me from climbing over them. Have to respect trespass laws in Spain or any foreign country, especially as unknown if owners can use unprovoked force to discourage further progress.
The third at 39.55971°N, 5.12431°W was accessible but the only place to park near the main road would have blocked access to the track, plus it was too potholed for me to risk taking the van.
Thinking on the hoof I next drove to Mohedas de la Jara. Starting from here would have put several Km on to the days 10km planned route so I explored a couple of tracks to get closer to the summit, with a plan to wild camp overnight either before or after bagging Riscos Altos. After 2km the track became impossible to drive in a road vehicle, so next idea was to find a hostel In Mohedas de la Jara and bite the bullet next day for a long hike.
No hostel. Just a farmacia, a bank, two bars and about 5 churches.
By now it had crossed my kind I may not bag Riscos Altos this trip, especially after driving back south along the CM-4100 confirming original planned trailhead were non-starters.
However that thought did not last long. Just before the 45Km marker post there is a sign for a picnic area in 3 Km. I have a plan. Wild camp in car park and set off first thing in the morning.
The car park was fine, in fact it was opposite one of the tracks I had explored earlier but could only manage a couple of hundred metres in the van. The one problem with the car park was it was directly below crackling HV power lines. That was enough for me, I was not going to spend the rest of the day and all night under that. It is only 2:30pm, there is plenty of daylight to do it now even with the extra 4Km each way. Several tracks would bring me out at Casa de las Nacientes close to the original planned route.
The first right fork at 39.53548°N, 5.12000°W looked like the most direct route but the next fork at 39.53596°N, 5.12106°W no longer existed. There were traces but it was long overgrown and trying to find a way round only brought me to a dead end and thick vegetation frustratingly close to a path I would use later.
So after thirty wasted minutes I headed back to the first fork near the start and continued along what I hoped would be the main track. Overall this was fine with only one long ago fallen tree blocking track at 39.53558°N, 5.12629°W. It has been some time since any vehicle had been past this point, but a short bushwhack around the tree picked up another path about 30m away leading to a derelict farm building at 39.54399°N, 5.12446°W. Tuning left here brought me to Casa de las Nacientes where a right turn and then a left after crossing Arroyo del Cubilar put me on the planned route for the first time.
Turning right and again crossing Arroyo del Cubilar a steep track ascending 330m in just over 1km takes you to the summit ridge and saddle at 39.54889°N, 5.14565°W. From here the track becomes a path and heads left away from Riscos Altos. To the right there is no path, lots of vegetation and two minor summits, including a bonus trig pillar on Risco de las Morras, if you stick with the summit ridge and the boundary between “las comunicades autónomas” of Extremadura and Castilla-La Mancha.
By now it was 5pm (the time I had originally planned to be back at the van) so after a quick text home I put on gaiters and T-shirt before heading through thick knee deep bushes with sticky leaves and a hint of smelling similar to Rosemary. There did seem to be some tracks to follow but in all honesty I think they were animal tracks.
The route I took was the route I took. I can’t claim it to be the best, I just stayed left of the ridge with the sticky leaves or right with mostly small oak and juvenile saplings. Significantly not bagging either of the minor peaks including the trig on Riscos de las Morras. At the final col I surveyed my right picking out tracks and landmarks to identify them on the map, finally dropping a waypoint at 39.56463°N, 5.16596°W to avoid the bushwhack I had just had on the ascent.
From here I could also see Riscos Altos 1.2km away preceded by two ribs of rock and slightly less dense undergrowth. Sticking to the right and using the base of the ribs to avoid more bushwhacking I eventually ended up 40m below the summit and 60m away with a crag directly in front of me that showed one weakness. So off I go after stashing trek poles straight for it.
Quite a difficult scramble/climb for me made harder by my quads losing some strength since my last major hike back in February up Pico de Mijas, plus after five weeks on the road, beach and around swimming pools. Not to mention the odd bar, meant footholds became knee holds in places and aerobic strength struggling to make up for lack of muscle strength. I was also dog tired after the days hike so far. Suffice it to say - I made it, but it was one of those scrambles you commit to leaving only one way to go - Up.
Lying on my back exhausted at the top I still could not see the summit or trig pillar to the NW, but I could see an easier way up to the SE. Well that’s the descent route sorted. Past the next rock the trig pillar came in to view midway along a short arête.
After photos taken from both sides I sat on the trig pillar feeling exhausted but well satisfied and pleased with myself. I would have liked an easier time for only the 3rd P600 of the trip, especially as the first, Serra de Sãu Mamede, was virtually a drive up. But sometimes you are where you are and just have to get on with it.
Refuelling on energy bars, nuts, an apple would have been nice and eeking out the 1litre of water I had left from the 3litre I set off with, I sat in the sun in shorts and T-shirt at 7pm thinking how great this peak bagging malarkey is and how good it is to be able to do it. At the same time thinking it has taken me 4 hours to get here to spend just 15 minutes on the summit only to head back from whence I had come. Can’t explain why, just great to be able to do it. Just wish I could share it more often at a less extreme level with Gina.
Surveying alternate descent route from Riscos Altos summit.
Can see reservoir to aim for lower centre right
Taking the easy route off the summit I soon returned to the ascent route. Aiming for the col I noted earlier I actually dropped below the ascent route, there is not really a path, and came across a boulder scree that took me down to one of the higher tracks but went in the opposite direction I needed to go. From the top of the scree I could see a couple of reservoirs which I located on the map and an unmapped track/clearing in vegetation west of Arroyo de la Huesa leading to a mapped track and reservoir I could see. From there it would be just over 6km back to van mostly along the CM-4100.
Crossing the track at bottom of boulder scree, 39.57030°N, 5.16611°W, I headed down and east through small oaks and saplings that soon became thicker forcing me further east until I hit tall broom and more of the thick sticky rosemary smelly vegetation but much larger than I had encountered before. Becoming consumed by finding a route I ended up heading towards the gully of Arroyo de la Huesa too far east and closer to an alternate track further to the east at 39.57076°N, 5.15991°W. Problem was that vegetation was getting thicker and all options east seemed impossible driving me deeper down the Arroyo gully. The turning point was after checking map I was 210m away from track after being only 150m away last time I checked, but the ultimate insult getting bushwhacked to a standstill. In an effort to break a way through lost my balance and ended up falling down a 30° slope. All of 2 metres, finishing upside down wedged in a mass of undergrowth.
Feeling somewhat demorilised I started to wonder what would happen if I could not make further progress.

Head back upwards and rejoin the ascent route?
That would take ages, even if I had the energy.
I then started to think about an old squash friend who went for a walk from his house in France before picking up family from the airport. The family never met him, so making their own way to the house, found it open with car keys and wallet on the table. He was found two years later, or his bones were.
Anyway soon put that out of my mind and determined to head direct to track on map come what may, even on hands and knees. Scratched to buggery but eventually got to track which was still pretty overgrown and had a massive gully down the middle where water had found an easier path down the mountain. It was here I noticed my hat was missing as well as my glasses, they must have come off during my fall. Had them to see map and work out was 210m from track after being only 150m when I last looked. Must have lost them when I fell over. That's where they will stay for posterity. Don't think anyone will end up there again. I certainly was not going back for them.
¾hr to the road including a stop near reservoir that I had spotted from the start of descent. Time to relax and 5k plod along CM-4100 back to picnic area and van. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, which was basically what I had been telling myself all the way down. The only jeopardy now remaining was avoiding the one car that passed me going in the same direction on the opposite side of the road.
Looking back at sunset beyond Riscos Altos summit
from CV-4100.Still an hour to get back to van
Back at van at the unbelievable time of 11pm, should have guessed really sunset an hour ago should have been a clue and it was pitch dark. How time flies when you are having “fun”.

All that remained was a 70km drive to Camping El Mirador de Cabañeros. Arriving well after midnight I anticipated parking outside on the road but had the good fortune to find the main gate open and even better being allowed by the friendly staff to bunk down, in their car park, ready for early arrival and set up the next day. Was even offered use of showers but given the time all I was interested in was filling up my water bottles, re-hydrating , setting up my bed and getting my head down.
I am finishing writing this up seven days later and having now climbed Corocho de Rocigalgo it is possible to use here as a base for all three P600s, Villuercas, Riscos Altos and of course Corocho de Rocigalgo.


Walk Statistics
Walk Date - 19 June 2019
Walkers - Steve Smith
Start Point - Picnic area close to 48km marker on CV-4100 (39.53610°N, 5.11914°W)
Start Time - 14:41
Finish Point - Picnic area close to 48km marker on CV-4100 (39.53610°N, 5.11914°W)
Finish Time- 22:42
Total Duration - 8hrs 01mins 
Overall Average pace - 1.44mph
Total Distance Walked - 11.58 miles
Total Height Ascended -928.00metres

Peaks visited
Spain/Portugal 600m Prominence Peaks (168S - 185S&P - 2165E)
Riscos Altos (59S - 61S&P - 90E)
Spain/Portugal 300m - 599m Prominence Peaks (1000+)
NONE
Spain/Portugal 150m - 299m Prominence Peaks (3000+)
NONE
Spain Autonomous Community High Points (19)
NONE
Spain Province High Points (52)
NONE
S: Spain
P: Portugal
E:Europe

Final walk from previous trip
2019
February
Other walks on this trip
2019
May
15th Peñarroya
June
17th Serra de São Mamede
18th Villuercas
19th Riscos Altos
24th Corocho de Rocigalgo
27th Riscos del Amor
July
11th Morades - Sierra De La Hiruela High Point
13th Pico de Almanzor
15th Pico Jálama
16th Canchal de la Ceja & Torreón del Calvitero
18th La Hastiala
Route
Map of route to follow

More Photographs
Full set of captioned photos providing journal and description of key parts of ascent, descent and summit photographs.
Route map, Statistics and other route info to follow. 
3km bushwhack early on after leaving saddle.
The first summit is the 1202m spot height,
beyond that is Risco de las Moras with trig pillar then 2.0Km beyond is Riscos Altos
Click on photograph to view slide-show (NOT YET)