ShareThis

Wednesday 9 March 2016

Cadair Idris Nuttalls east of A487

Walk summary
Waun-oer trig and summit, rock just to right.
Taken with phone sitting down. Too windy to stand up
First walk of this trip but straight in to multi-Nuttall walks with nearly 1000m of ascent. I had acquired my hill legs on previous trip which had only finished just over 1 week earlier with the Rhayader Marilyns. This week should have been the final week of an extended 3 week trip to kick start Nuttall and Marilyn schedule aiming to achieve 10 Nuttalls and 25 Marilyns per month over the first 10 months of this year. However I decided to return to Suffolk to spend Mother's Day with my wife being as both our children have grown up and either live abroad or have there own families. As it turned out I was just about walked out after 10 days walking so the break really gave me a chance to recharge then return fully refreshed and ready to get on with the business of serious hill bagging from day one.
As it turned out this was serious hill-bagging. 
I do not mind rain, that is what water proofs are for and I do not mind wind even strong wind, in fact I find it invigorating, however I do try to avoid both together to maintain a reasonable walking pace and of course enjoyment, hence the delayed start but with the rain clearing slower than forecast meant I set off at nearly 1:30pm while it was still raining, but I did not want to leave it any later to leave spare time to complete the planned 8 miles within good daylight hours. 
The rain had stopped by the time I had made the initial ascent up Craig y Bwlch but the strong cold wind remained from the NW. I was also above the snow line but making good progress through the soft ankle deep snow towards the first summit of Cribin Fawr via the high points just after Cloddfa Gwanas disused quarries. By now as well as the rain the cloud was clearing and I could see Waun-oer the next Nuttall of the day. Despite planning the route I was surprised about the amount of descent and steep reascent but not sure why; Waun-oer is a HuMP. Heading towards the trig the wind seemed to get even stronger, this often happens and I like to think it is the spirit of the mountain letting me know I should not take getting to the summit for granted. Rubbish I know but I still think it every time. Spirit or not I had to sit down to take a steady shot of the trig and summit with my phone, too windy for the proper camera. Registering the trig was even harder having to hang on to the trig with one hand while logging it on TPUK.
Returning to the next summit by the ascent route I did manage to get one photo looking back at the trig out of the wind.
The next two peaks where the Deweys of Craig Portas; the main summit which is also a Simm  and the East Top. Both easy to find simply by hand-railing the fence, but not distinctive summits - just heather.
Strong winds were still evident but fortunately blowing me away from the crest of the valley on route to Maesglase the largest and final Nuttall of the day. By the time I had visited the true Nuttall within the larger 670m contour ring then followed the fence to the old GR (Maen Du) at the 674m spot height it was nearly 5pm. Plenty of time to be heading off the fell in good daylight, just as well the descent is walk-able but very steep. A much better route for descent than ascent. Having reached the A470 near Penantigi Uchaf all that remained was a 1 mile uphill trudge back to the van. Just over halfway I reached a lay-by just before the milepost shown on the map, which with hindsight would have been a better starting point. What turned out to be the tough final ½ mile at the end of the walk would have been a pleasant ½  mile stroll to warm up at the beginning of the walk.

Peaks visited
Nuttalls (189W - 443E&W)
Cribin Fawr (98W - 351E&W)
Waun-oer (99W - 352E&W)
Maesglase (100W - 353E&W)
Hewitts (138W - 317E&W)
Cribin Fawr (69W - 248E&W)
Waun-oer (70W - 249E&W)
Maesglase (71W - 250E&W)
Marilyns (175E - 1556E,W&S)
Maesglase (65W - 226EW&S)
Deweys (181E - 422E&W)
Craig Portas (40W - 92E&W)
Craig Portas East Top (41W - 93E&W)
HuMPs (444E - 2975EW&S)
Waun-oer (76W - 304EW&S)
Maesglase (77W - 305EW&S)
Historic County Tops (49E - 93E,W&S)
NONE
W: Wales. 
E,W&S:England,Wales & Scotland

Other walks on this trip
2016
March
09th Cadair Idris Nuttalls east of A487
10th Mynydd Moel & Gau Graig
11th Craig y Castell
12th Cadair Idris + two outliers to the west from YHA Kings
14th Cwm Cywarch ring from Glasgwm to Pen yr Allt Uchaf


Walk Statistics
Walk Date -09 March 2016
Walkers - Steve Smith

Accommodation - Severn Caravan Park & Bunkhouse
Start Point - Car park on A470 near 363m spot height (SH 80238 17008)
Start Time - 13:25
Finish Point Car park on A470 near 363m spot height (SH 80238 17008)
Finish Time - 18:08
Total Duration - 4hrs 43mins
Overall Average pace - 1.67mph
Total Distance Walked - 7.87 miles
Total Height Ascended - 968.79 metres


Route
GPX can be downloaded from www.shareyouradventure.com
More Photographs
Maesglase to the left and east from Cribin Fawr summit ridge
Click on photograph to view slide-show