ShareThis

Thursday 13 November 2014

November 2014 - The Carneddau

Walks Summary
In an attempt to set a bit of focus at the beginning of 2014 I set myself an objective to climb 100 significant hills (Nuttalls, Munros, Marilyns, HuMPs even Deweys) and walk 1000 miles.
Here we are approaching the end of the year and I have only walked 340 miles and more importantly only visited 85 peaks.

So this last trip of 2014 is aimed at doing something about the number of peaks, increasing the total count above 100 but I think I will have to be going some to walk the 660 miles to meet the distance target.



I have had great difficulty finding a camp site open with suitable facilities including electric hook up for the camper van and warm shower facilities. So I have booked the first 2 nights at YHA Snowdon Pen-y-Pass and the following 2 nights at YHA Idwal.
The location of these hostels has more or less chosen the early routes combined with a reasonable distance to walk with not too much ascent to climb to reacquaint me with my hill legs.
Order of subsequent routes will be determined by location of accommodation after the 5
th night as well as the weather, however with the 3 rest days should give enough flexibility to complete all the walks and visit all 23 Carneddau Nuttalls.
Because of the impromptu nature of the trip I have not spent the usual time pouring over routes from my arm chair. In many cases I worked out suitable mountain groupings and came up with routes with the help of The Mountains of England & Wales - Vol 1 by John & Ann Nuttall.
001 - Tal y Fan

002 - Drum, Pen y Castell & Carnedd y Ddelw

003 - Carnedd Dafydd, Pen yr Ole Wen & Foel Meirich

004 - Carnedd Llewelyn, Yr Elen & Pen yr Helgi Du

005 - Dulyn Reservoir round + Llwytmor

006 - Beras Bach & Mawr +Drosgl & Gyrn Wigau

007 - Creigiau Gleision & Craiglwyn

008 - Pen Llithrig y Wrach