ShareThis

Friday 1 December 2017

Beinn Ime

Walk Summary
Driving up the A83 from Arrochar anticipation builds
of a great day in the hills. Think it is Beinn an Lochain
The plan was to meet Jon Glew at Butterbridge car park at 9am, however trouble the day before with his windscreen wipers meant he had to get them checked out today before setting off.
Leaving me with the choice to find an alternate route or tackle my first Munro solo in winter conditions. Well I have done the training and walked a fair bit with others - what could possibly go wrong. 
As it happened - nothing. The route was only short and circular meaning I was always less than 2 miles from the start point and a left turn to lower ground in the event of a problem or change in conditions. Plus I cart around more kit than most to help me deal with most problems as they arise. In fact although there was plenty of snow and sufficiently cold to avoid it collapsing under my weight (most of the time) the one disappointment was; amongst other items my crampons remained in my pack, though I did get the ice axe out as a precautionary measure in the event of a slip on the direct descent from Ben Ime down to Glas Bhealach.
As I often say I cannot predict every problem that may occur but do have the necessary skills and kit to deal with whatever may arise. Hopefully.
Anyway although it was a disappointment not to be joined by Jon today, I managed my first day out alone in winter conditions and enjoyed the best snow of the weekend as by next day the thaw was setting in fast.

Walk Statistics
Walk Date - 01 December 2017
Walkers - Steve Smith

Accommodation - Crianlarich SYHA
Start Point - Kinglas/Butterbridge car park on A83 near military road crossing over Kinglas Water (NN 23426 09571)
Start Time - 09:00
Finish Point Kinglas/Butterbridge car park on A83 near military road crossing over Kinglas Water (NN 23426 09571)
Finish Time- 14:57
Total Duration - 5hrs 57mins 
Overall Average pace - 0.91mph
Total Distance Walked - 5.43miles
Total Height Ascended - 1109.16metres


Other walks on this trip
2017
November
23rd The last minor Marilyns of Area 28 and first real foray in to Area 27
24th Gallow & Hind Hill
25th Gathersnow Hill
26th Queensberry
27th See Morris & Killyleoch Hill
28th Minch Moor
30th Ben Bowie
December
01st Beinn Ime
02nd Ben Vane
03rd Ben Vorlich (Arrochar)
04th Beinn Bhreac & Tullich Hill

Route
GPX can be downloaded from
More Photographs
Beinn Narnain (l) and Ben Arthur [The Cobler] (r) from Beinn Luibhean summit
Click on photograph to view slide-show