ShareThis

Sunday 24 April 2016

Moels Eilio & Cynghorion, Foel Gron and Llechog from YHA Llanberis


Walk summary
Yesterday’s relaxed schedule concluded with a gentle stroll up Mynydd Mawr left me rested and recovered sufficiently to tackle the second of the trips near 10 mile routes with 4 Nuttalls around the NE flank of the Snowdon massive.
Moel Cynghorion summit on other side of stile.
The P600 summits of Y Garn and Elidir Fawr beyond
The clear blue skies and attendant sunshine of the last three days had not appeared. Any warmth provided by the sunshine had been tempered by a cool North West wind bringing unseasonably low temperatures for April. Without the sunshine I was expecting even cooler temperatures; however I determined to dress for how I thought I would feel ten minutes in to the walk keeping my Berghaus strapped to my backpack relying on an extra mid layer on top of a winter base layer to keep me warm. As it turned out, even with the further drop in temperature as the wind-chill increased with ascent, this was the correct level of layering, keeping me warm as long as I kept moving and avoiding the sweatbox that I have still not managed to avoid in spite of allegedly expensive wicking windproof/waterproof coats.
The plan allowed for 1200m of ascent as long as I could find a route down Maen-d’ur Arddu from Bwlch Cwm Brwynog. There is no marked path on the map and a potentially craggy area below a fence that terminates just above the crag. Although I expected to find a route, it did not become clear until I was well down Moel Cynghorion.
Having found the route down Maen-d’ur Arddu I fully expected the walk to go as planned. However after reaching Llechog rather than descend down to the Llanberis path I stayed high returning to Llanberis along the ridge over Tryfan (not the famous one) and on to Derlwyn both of which do not have an entry on www.hill-bagging.co.uk but which from Llechog looked like they had some potential.
644m spot height
Since contours on map can be regarded as accurate I assume spot heights can enjoy the same status. So the 631m spot height at col with Llechog suggests a drop of only 13m, missing Nuttall status by 2m. My Anquet tracklog recorded summit as 650m and 631m spot height as 637m still a drop of 13m and insufficient to claim Nuttall status for the 644m spot height (Llechog NE Top?)
Tryfan
With such an iconic name I would have expected this to have status as a recognised peak. No spot height on map but my Anquet tracklog recorded it at 601m unfortunately Col between Tryfan and 644m spot height at (SH 59973 57640) was recorded as 582m missing out on sub-Dewey status. Also no 600m contour but I suspect Anquet heights measure on the high side.
Derlwyn
I found 3 candidates for the high point within the 410m contour the highest of which was measured as 420m by the Anquet tracklog. Unfortunately the col at SH 59038 58498 is only 420m so misses out on 400m TUMP status

Walk Statistics
Walk Date -24 April 2016
Walkers - Steve Smith

Accommodation - YHA Snowdon Llanberis
Start Point- YHA Snowdon Llanberis (SH 57410 59705)
Finish Point YHA Snowdon Llanberis (SH 57410 59705)
Total Duration - 6hrs 51mins 
Overall Average pace - 1.57mph
Total Distance Walked - 10.74 miles
Total Height Ascended - 1379.69 metres


Peaks visited
Nuttalls (189W - 443E&W)
Moel Eilio (122W - 375E &W)
Foel Gron (123W - 376E &W)
Moel Cynghorion (124W - 377E &W)
Llechog (125W - 378E &W)
Hewitts (138W - 317E&W)
Moel Eilio (88W - 267E &W)
Foel Gron (89W - 268E &W)
Moel Cynghorion (90W - 269E &W)
Marilyns (175E - 1556E,W&S)
Moel Eilio (78W - 240E,W &S)
Moel Cynghorion (79W - 241E,W &S)
Deweys (181E - 422E&W)
Foel Goch (45W - 98E&W)
HuMPs (444E - 2975EW&S)
Moel Eilio  (92W - 321E,W&S)
Moel Cynghorion (73W - 322E,W&S)
Historic County Tops (49E - 93E,W&S)
NONE
W: Wales. 
E,W&S:England,Wales & Scotland

Other walks on this trip
2016
April
21st Y Garn to Carnedd y Filiast ridge
22nd Y Foel Goch & Gallt yr Ogof
23rd Mynydd Mawr
24th Moels Eilio & Cynghorion, Foel Gron and Llechog from YHA Llanberis
26th Nantlle Ridge


Route
OS 1:25,000 route map to follow.
GPX can be downloaded from www.shareyouradventure.com

More Photographs
The north east end of Nantlle Ridge from cairn SE of Mynydd Mawr summit
Click on photograph to view slide-show